Eulogy 追思文

Someone asked me recently if I was close to Grandma. I replied yes with much heartache. But then I think the same can be said by most people who were a part of her life, blood related or not. My grandma had an incredibly generous heart. She welcomed people into her life and made them feel like family. I had the opportunity to go back to Taiwan with Grandma and Mom back in 2015 for my cousin’s wedding. During that time, many friends and family would go out of their way to treat Grandma to feasts or to spend time with her. It was evident that they wanted to repay the kindness my grandma had shown them decades ago and felt deeply indebted to her. 

Grandma was a beautiful example of a devoted wife, mother, and grandparent. 

When grandpa’s physical health declined from his multiple strokes, we needed the physical support of a convalescent home to help take care of him. As his devoted wife, grandma moved to an assisted senior living complex nearby. She rode her little motorized scooter to visit him every day. She faithfully continued to do so even when a group of teenage boys would harass her on her route. On many occasions when I visited grandpa alone, I could hear him yelling her name repeatedly from the hallway. Why? Because he loved and missed her, even if she just left after spending the entire day by his side. 

As a devoted mother, grandma was always there for my mom. When we were in need of financial assistance, my grandparents managed to support us even though it meant that they had to make big sacrifices. They also gave up their independence and comfortable lifestyle in Taiwan to move here to be with us. 

Grandma and grandpa’s house was my favorite place to visit on the weekends when we lived in Taiwan. They were the quintessential examples of grandparents who spoil you rotten. I got to live with just them for a short period of time while my parents were busy with my siblings academic pursuits. Grandma always cooked my favorite foods and even asked the chef at my kindergarten how to cook one of the dishes that I loved. I was super skinny when I was younger and grandma made it her mission to fatten me up. It didn’t work, but my tummy certainly enjoyed her efforts tremendously. 

Despite a significant decline in her health in the last couple of years, Grandma lived a long, fulfilling, and meaningful life that is worth celebrating. Even around the age of 80, she continued to dance and perform cultural dances in a senior dance group. She had a few falls, but she always worked diligently during her physical therapy sessions. She defied the odds to achieve miraculous recoveries multiple times. Her mind was sharp, clear, full of sass and humor. I will miss her dearly and will be eternally grateful to her for giving me the greatest gift anyone can ever give to another since they were a young, impressionable child: the realization that you are special and worthy of being spoiled, loved, and cherished like a treasure. 

Thank you A-Ma for your unwavering love. 

Granddaughter Janet Chen 

最近有人問我和阿嬤親近嗎?我非常悲傷的回答說:「是的。」但我想大多數曾經和她一起生活過的人,無論是否有血緣關係,也都會這麼回答。我的阿嬤有顆極為寬厚慷慨的心,她敞開家門和心門讓很多人進入她的生活中,讓他們感覺像家人一樣。在2015 年,我有幸與阿嬤和媽媽一起回台灣參加表妹的婚禮。那時,許多親朋好友都會特地請阿嬤吃豐盛的大餐或者願意花很多時間陪伴她。顯然,他們想回報阿嬤幾十年前給予他們的恩情,並對她深感感激。 

阿嬤是一位忠誠妻子、母親和外婆的典範。 

阿公多次中風後,身體狀況每況愈下時,我們需要療養院的醫療與支援來幫忙照顧他。作為他忠實的妻子,阿嬤搬到療養院附近的一個老人公寓。她每天騎著她的小摩托車去探望他。即使路上有一群十幾歲的男孩騷擾她,她仍然堅持這樣做。很多次,當我獨自去探望阿公時,都能聽到他在走廊上反覆喊阿嬤的名字。為什麼?因為他愛她,想念她,就算她才在陪伴阿公一整天之後才剛離開。 

阿嬤是一位可依靠的母親,她總是支持我的媽媽。當我們需要經濟援助時,我的阿公阿嬤即使必須做出巨大的犧牲,也盡力輔助我們。他們放棄了在台灣的獨立舒適的生活方式,搬到這裡來和我們在一起。 

小時候住在台灣時,我最喜歡在週末去阿公阿嬤的家。他們是那種典型會寵壞孫子們的外公外婆。當我的爸媽忙於哥哥和姐姐的學業時,我有機會單獨和阿公阿嬤住在一起一小段時間。阿嬤總是做我喜歡吃的菜,甚至請教幼稚園的廚師如何做我最愛吃的菜。我小時候特別瘦,阿嬤就把養胖我當成她的使命。雖然沒成功,但我的肚子確實非常享受過她的付出。 

儘管阿嬤近幾年身體狀況逐漸衰退,但她依然活了值得慶祝、長壽、充實而有意義的一生。在八十歲左右,她仍然堅持在老年舞蹈團跳舞和表演民族舞蹈。她摔過幾次跤,但她始終在治療期間勤奮努力的做復健。她多次克服困難,奇蹟般地康復。她的思維敏銳、清晰,充滿幽默感與智慧。我會非常想念她,並永遠感激她,因為她給了我一份最珍貴的禮物,那就是當我是一位自我意識還在成長中的幼兒時, 她讓我意識到自己很特別,她銘刻在我心中: 「我是值得被她寵愛、被愛護、被珍惜的寶貝。」 

感謝阿嬤始終如一的愛。 

孫女陳怡君

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorial Tribute 故人生平